In addition to the Friends of Frederick County board members, the organization relies on an extensive diversity of community leaders and citizens throughout Frederick County for support with decisions and positions to foster and protect our environmental health while maintaining social stability and economic prosperity. The board meets every other month.
- Ed Hinde, Chair Ed is Founder and Principal of Healthy Living Promotions, a marketing services firm dedicated to helping brands understand, connect and profit from relationships with the Health-Inspired. Located in the metro Washington, D.C. area, Healthy Living’s clients range from Pepsi Cola North America, Timberland, Quaker, Hain-Celestial, and Abbott Laboratories. Ed also serves as a Partner in Green Events Group, a professional services firm that helps large special events and their sponsors demonstrably reduce their environment impact. Their clients include the National Football League, Pepsi, and Major League Baseball. Ed has a long history as a very capable marketer, having served in executive roles at Pillsbury, Club Med, Adolph Coors, and Grand Metropolitan PLC before forming his own company in 2002. Ed is a 1981 graduate of the University of Texas (Austin), and received his Masters in Business Administration from the University of Colorado (Boulder) in 1984. He and his wife, MaryLynn, currently reside in Frederick, MD.
- Janice Wiles, Board Member Janice comes to Friends of Frederick County after almost 3 decades of land use planning and mapping, wildlife and watershed management, developing environmental education campaigns, and cultivating citizen participation and effectiveness in natural resource conservation in Brazil. She served as NASA’s liaison to the Brazilian Ministry for Science and Technology on a project studying land use changes in the Amazon Basin and their impacts on local, regional and global climate. She is a graduate of the 2005 Leadership Frederick County class and is a Sustainability Commissioner for the Frederick County Commission on Environmental Sustainability.
- Richard Wiles, Board Member Richard Wiles is Vice President for Strategic Communications and Director of Research at Climate Central. Prior to joining Climate Central, Wiles was a co-founder and Executive Director of Environmental Working Group where he helped create, direct, and manage EWG’s pioneering research and communications operations. Before co-founding EWG, Wiles served as Senior Staff at the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences, managing committees on a range of issues from pesticides and children’s health to organic agriculture and western water issues. Committees managed by Wiles at the NRC produced a series of landmark reports that laid the scientific foundation for path-breaking children’s health protections in federal pesticide law, and the creation of national standards for organic food. Wiles has a BA from Colgate University and a MA from California State University at Sacramento.
- Ellis Burruss, Board Member Ellis Burruss graduated from the University of MD with a B.A. in English (and a strong minor in organic chemistry). He has lived in Brunswick for the past 31 of his 67 years. As an independent business owner during that time he has come to understand the issues facing small businesses in our community. He has shown his commitment to the community by volunteering his time and energy to these organizations: Greater Brunswick Area Chamber of Commerce (former president), Frederick County Solid Waste Advisory Committee (2007 – 2011), Friends of the Library Brunswick Branch (current), Brunswick Planning Commission (2001-present), EastAlco Citizens’ Advisory Board (2000-2003), Police Chief’s Advisory Committee (2001-2003), Downtown Business Association (1989-92), Frederick County Solid Waste Advisory Committee (1990 – 96), Frederick County Recycling Committee (1988-90), Police Committee (1988-89), Downtown Revitalization Committee (1987-90), Brunswick Museum Board of Directors (1984-87), Brunswick Economic Team (1984-85, Brunswick Library Board of Directors (1982-84) and currently participates actively in Brunswick Main Street Brunswick Economic Development Commission. Ellis owns Bellwether Printing and formerly owned Benchmark Printing
- Bob White, Board Member Bob White has been involved in Frederick County Planning for over 22 years. He has served 16 years on the Frederick County Planning Commission, including two terms as Chair, and three years on the Frederick County Board of Appeals. He also has served on many other special county boards and commissions, including the Citizens Zoning Review Committee as well as on all those involved in developing or amending the County’s Adequate Public Facilities Ordinance. In 2010 he campaigned, unsuccessfully, for County Commissioner. He is a retired former executive with the National Electrical Contractors’ Association and a Frederick County resident since 1977.
- Dolores Milmoe, Board Member bio coming soon